Last year, Green Campus, Dining Services, and Facilities Management established a program to reduce food waste and give back to the community. Approximately 100 pounds per week of leftover food is donated to America’s Second Harvest, the nation’s largest charitable hunger relief organization.
Dining Services, in cooperation with Green Campus, held a “Weigh the Waste Event” at Mesa Commons in Spring 2007. The event was followed by an educational campaign. A second event was held a month later, resulting in a 100 pound reduction in waste. The event has continued to occur on a periodic basis.
- Dining Services, in cooperation with Aramark, is working to develop a sustainable food procurement plan.
- Implemented a program for priority sourcing of food produced within 150 miles of campus.
- Fair trade certified coffee is served at all campus dining locations.
- Biodegradable containers are used for most to-go items and biodegradable plates are used in most retail dining locations.
- Services patrons receive a discount for using personal mugs, reducing paper cup and lid waste.
- In collaboration with Facilities Management, Dining Services has implemented a coffee grinds recycling program. These grinds are used to fertilize campus grounds.
- An organic egg program was initiated to educate students about ethical issues related to caged hens. Organic eggs are offered as an option during breakfast in three campus restaurants.
- Recycling bins are placed outside all campus dining locations to encourage bottle, glass, newspapers, and paper recycling.
- Dining Services adheres to the Monterey Bay Aquarium’s Seafood Watch guidelines.
- All dining commons have reusable service ware.
- Quarterly dining service sustainability audits are performed in all retail and residential dining locations.
According to this week's New University (UCI's Campus newspaper), UCI Dining will provide certified organic eggs at all UCI Dining location, open an "ORGANICS to Go" retail location in the Student Center, offer 100% organic items at "Greens to Go", and will have an organic salad bar in the La Palma room at Mesa Commons.