Sunday, July 15, 2012

my fullest self

My most memorable shared meal was with my family, on my mom's side, at my uncle's house in Viet Nam when I was 12 years old 13 years ago.  My uncle's a farmer/fisherfolk.  It was important to me because it was the first time that my uncle, grandparents, and family shared the kitchen and table together - preparing, cooking, and eating.  It was the first time I remember watching my grandfather make nuoc mam giam (fish sauce dipping sauce), my aunt prepare ca kho (claypot stewed fish) and rau xao (stir-fried vegetables), and my uncle crack open a coconut.  My senses awoken for the first time in the kitchen.  It was the first time in my life that I started learning by seeing, doing, and sensing.  I was surrounded by my closest kin, my family relatives, and reconnecting with my fullest self.

No comments: